• Organisation

William Booth Girls' Home


The William Booth Girls’ Home, East Camberwell, opened in 1912 and was run by the Salvation Army. It accommodated girls aged between 4 and 14 years old. The first 43 girls in residence at the William Booth Girls’ Home had been transferred there from the Murrumbeena Girls’ Home, which closed in 1912. When the Home closed in 1972, children were transferred to the Salvation Army’s Catherine Booth Girls’ Home in East Kew.

The Home was named after William Booth, founder of the Salvation Army. It was located on Brinsley Road, East Camberwell.

Education of the girls was provided by the staff at the home, initially within the home and, from 1939, in a school room built on the site. At this time there were 67 girls living in the home.

In November 1955, the William Booth Memorial Home for Girls was declared an approved children’s home under the Children’s Welfare Act 1954.

  • From


  • To


  • Alternative Names

    Camberwell Children's Home

    East Camberwell Girls' Home

    William Booth Memorial Home


  • 1912 - 1972

    The William Booth Girls' Home was located at 11 Brinsley Road, East Camberwell, Victoria (Building Demolished)


Contact Find & Connect

Save page