The Horseshoe was a Home in Carlton for women suffering from venereal disease, run by the Mission of St James and St John. In October 1927, women were transferred from The Horseshoe to the Mission’s new institution at Fairfield, known as Fairhaven.
On 31 December 1925, a hotel known as The Horseshoe in Lygon Street Carlton was delicensed and taken over by the Mission of St James and St John. Canon Lamble wrote, ‘The building has literally been redeemed, and it will soon be used as an instrument for the redemption of human lives’.
In August 1926, the Horseshoe reopened as a Home for women suffering from venereal disease. Lamble expected ’75 per cent results’ from the Mission’s work at The Horseshoe. The Home admitted women and infants, and the women visited a clinic, as well as performing domestic duties and participating in religious activities.
Initially, the Horseshoe was intended for young women who needed regular treatment for their venereal disease. Convalescent women, requiring only weekly check-ups, were housed at Ramoth in Ferntree Gully.
With the opening in October 1927 of the Home at Fairfield known as Fairhaven, women at the Horseshoe (and also at Ramoth in Ferntree Gully) were transferred to the new institution.
In 1997 the Mission of St James and St John became part of Anglicare Victoria. At this time, records of the Mission were transferred to Anglicare Victoria. These included records of the various orphanages, homes and other residences run by the Mission. The custodian of these records is Anglicare Victoria.