• Organisation

St Joseph's Nursery

Details

St Joseph’s Nursery was established in 1959 and was situated in Gellibrand Street, Kew, close to the St Anthony’s Home. It provided temporary accommodation for children (who would previously have been housed at St Joseph’s in Carlton) and for some single mothers. The Nursery closed in 1976.

St Joseph’s Nursery was established in 1959. It was situated in Gellibrand Street, Kew, close to the St Anthony’s Home, also run by the Sisters of St Joseph.

The Nursery was initially an adjunct to St Joseph’s Receiving Home (in Carlton) when this agency was undergoing renovations. It provided temporary care for children (who would previously have been housed at St Joseph’s in Carlton) and accommodation for some single mothers.

St Joseph’s Nursery was subsequently declared an approved children’s home. It was staffed by a Sister and a mothercraft nurse, with domestic help provided by resident single mothers.

Locations

  • 1959 - 1976?

    St Joseph's Nursery was located on Gellibrand Street, Kew, Victoria (Building Demolished)

Contact Find & Connect

Save page