Details

Ramoth was established in Ferntree Gully in 1926. It was a convalescent Home for young women suffering from venereal diseases. In 1927, the Mission of St James and St John took over Ramoth and it became the Ramoth Toddlers’ Home. Women at Ramoth were transferred to Fairhaven in Fairfield.

Ramoth was run in close association with The Horseshoe in Carlton, where women were first taken.

Ramoth was set up by the Mission as a sanitarium for women in the final stages of recovery from ‘V.D.’. At Ramoth, the ‘girls’ could ‘not only be prevented from contaminating secretly, but nursed back to lives of decency and respect’.

In 1927, the Mission took over Ramoth to be used as a Toddlers’ Home. Women at Ramoth were transferred to Fairhaven in Fairfield.

In 1997 the Mission of St James and St John became part of Anglicare Victoria. At this time, records of the Mission were transferred to Anglicare Victoria. These included records of the various orphanages, homes and other residences run by the Mission. The custodian of these records is Anglicare Victoria.

  • From

    1926

  • To

    1927

Locations

  • 1926 - 1927

    Ramoth, a convalescent Home for women with venereal diseases, was located in Ferntree Gully, Victoria (Building Unknown)

Chronology

Contact Find & Connect

Save page