The Princess Elizabeth Kindergarten for the Deaf, in Elgar Road Burwood, opened in 1950. It was the first residential and daily pre-school centre for deaf children in Australia. It was run by the board of the Victorian School for Deaf Children. From 1957 to 1971 the State Education Department were responsible for the teaching staff at the kindergarten. From 1973, the Kindergarten provided weekend residential care for ‘boarders’ in family group homes, one of which was located on Stott Street.
Princess Elizabeth Junior School for Deaf Children
1950 - 2002
The Princess Elizabeth Kindergarten for the Deaf was located at 90 Elgar Road, Burwood, Victoria (Building Demolished)