Lyndon Lodge was a hostel run by the Salvation Army to provide ‘aftercare’ for boys leaving the Bayswater Boys’ Homes. It opened in 1946 in a property known as ‘Talana’ in Auburn, an area of Hawthorn. It provided accommodation for up to 30 boys between the ages of 14 and 18 who were learning trades or working in the city. The boys were expected to pay their own maintenance costs where possible. In 1987 the Salvation Army sold the property at Auburn, and Lyndon Lodge moved to a smaller home on Walker Street, Murrumbeena. Lyndon Lodge had closed by 2004.
Lyndon Lodge was initially located in a two-storey Victorian mansion on a one acre property on the corner of Auburn Road and Harcourt Street, Auburn (an area of Hawthorn). The son of Howard Broadstock, who managed Lyndon Lodge from 1958 to 1964, reminisced about his time living there:
What a place for a kid to grow up in; a house that looked like something from a horror movie with turrets and gargoyles, lots of space to run around in, a tennis court, a gymnasium, table tennis and billiards – what more could a young family ask for! And we lived on one of the richest streets in Melbourne!
1946 - 1987
Lyndon Lodge was located at 27 Auburn Road, Auburn (Hawthorn), Victoria (Building Still standing)
1987 - c. 2004
Lyndon Lodge was located at 1 Walker Street, Murrumbeena, Victoria (Building Still standing)