The Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission was a non-denominational organisation established by volunteers in 1865. The school and mission offered a range of classes and services to ‘waifs and strays’. In 1895 the Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission became the Melbourne Boys’ Ragged Home and Mission.
The Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission, a non-denominational organisation caring for ‘waifs and strays’ was established in 1865 in Melbourne. It started by providing free breakfasts to children and sewing classes for women.
The term ‘ragged school’ was adopted from Britain, where charity schools for underprivileged children were given this name from around 1840.
In 1891 William Brown resigned as Superintendent and Secretary of the School and Mission and William Minton succeeded him. Under his direction the Mission began to expand its services and collect donations to build a home to accommodate homeless children.
In 1895 the Latrobe St Ragged School and Mission became the Melbourne Ragged Boys’ Home with the opening of the children’s home.