Glen Mervyn Legacy House, in Randwick, was a residence for wards of Legacy from 1946 until 1973. According to the Senate report, Protecting Vulnerable Children (2005), it accommodated up to 30 residents, usually aged between 14 and 21, who were studying in Sydney. In 1973, the property was taken over by the Red Cross, who established Glen Mervyn Junior Red Cross Home on the site.
The building that housed Glen Mervyn was given to the Australian Red Cross by Thomas Field in 1942, on the condition that it was used for philanthropic or charitable purposes (Dictionary of Sydney). During World War Two, the Red Cross had run a convalescent home for ex-servicemen, and then leased the property to Sydney Legacy from 1946.
From 1946, Legacy ran Glen Mervyn Legacy House on the site, a hostel for orphaned children of servicemen.
In 1973 Legacy handed the site back to the Red Cross, and Glen Mervyn Junior Red Cross Home opened.
After the closure of Glen Mervyn Junior Red Cross Home, in the early 1980s, the site continued to be used by Red Cross as a child care centre, and, from 1993, as the home of its Young Parents Program.
1946 - 1973
Glen Mervyn Junior Red Cross Home was situated at 24-26 Coogee Bay Road, Randwick, New South Wales (Building Still standing)