• Organisation

Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage

Details

Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage was the new name given to the Geelong Protestant Orphan Asylum in 1909. There was no formal connection between the Orphanage and the church. It accommodated boys and girls, aged between 4 and 14. In 1934, the institution moved to Belmont. In 1955, the Orphanage changed its name to Glastonbury – Geelong Protestant Orphanage.

From 1910, the Education Department conducted a primary school in the home grounds; Glastonbury Primary School (no. 3656). By the mid 1950s children from outside the Home also attended the primary school. Secondary school aged children attended local state schools in Geelong

In 1934 the Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage moved to Belmont as a result of industrial pollution and building disrepair at Herne Hill. The new Orphanage in Belmont was designed to accommodate 85 boys and girls.

The home’s eighty acres were used for dairying and farming.

In 1955, the institution became an approved children’s home under Victorian legislation and changed its name to Glastonbury – Geelong Protestant Orphanage.

Locations

  • 1909 - 1933

    The Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage was located in McCurdy Road, Herne Hill, Geelong, Victoria (Building Still standing)

  • 1934 - 1955

    The Geelong and Western District Protestant Orphanage was located in Colac Road, Belmont, Geelong, Victoria (Building Still standing)

Image

Contact Find & Connect

Save page