The Children’s Protection Society (CPS) was established in 1971. Previously, it was known as the Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (founded in 1896). The Children’s Protection Society operated the following emergency shelter Homes: Robin House in Fitzroy, Swan House in Traralgon, Currawong House in Hamilton and Alys Keys House in Heidelberg. In 2018 Children’s Protection Society changed its name to Kids First Australia.
CPS Officers (and the police) were the only people authorised under the Community Welfare Act 1970 to deal with child maltreatment cases. The society’s aim in the first instance was to prevent abuse and neglect by providing support for ‘at risk’ children and their parents. If these preventative steps did not work then the courts were involved.
CPS was funded by the Victorian government to investigate reports of child abuse across the metropolitan area. On 1 October 1985 the responsibility was handed back to the government.