• Organisation

Ballarat Orphanage Boys' Hostel

Details

The Ballarat Orphanage Boys’ Hostel was established in 1927. It housed boys (up to the age of 18) from the Orphanage who had been apprenticed out to various trades. The Boys’ Hostel in Victoria Street was formerly a private hospital called Warrawee. The hostel closed in 1961 when it was purchased by the Social welfare Department, and the Victorian government opened a Reception Centre on the same site. At the time of its closure there were two boys living at the hostel, both of whom were transferred to private boardings.

The building in Victoria Street, Ballarat, was purchased for £3500. This was funded by a £1000 grant from the Charities Board, and further contributions from the HV McKay Charitable Trust, the Edward Wilson Trust and the Alfred Felton Estate.

Locations

  • 1927 - 1961

    The Ballarat Orphanage Boys' Hostel was located at 28 Victoria Street, Ballarat, Victoria (Building Still standing)

Contact Find & Connect

Save page