• Organisation

Ballarat Female Refuge

Details

The Ballarat Female Refuge was established in 1867 by a group of protestant women, with the objective of reforming ‘prostitutes’. It became a shelter for single mothers. It was the first such institution on Australia’s goldfields. In 1921, the Refuge became part of the Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children’s Home.

Initially, the Female Refuge was managed by a ladies’ committee and a committee comprising lay men and ministers from various Protestant denominations.

The Ballarat Female Refuge’s first location was in Grant Street, Ballarat. In 1885, it moved to new premises at 183 Scott Parade.

In 1921, the Ballarat Town and City Mission took over the management of the Ballarat Female Refuge.

At this time, a new institution for single mothers and their babies was established by the Mission, on the site of the original Refuge at 183 Scott Parade. This institution was known as the Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children’s Home. The Alexandra Babies’ Home (built in 1909) was situated on the same complex, at 187 Scott Parade.

  • Alternative Names

    Ballarat Female Home

    Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue Home

  • From

    1867

  • To

    1921

Locations

  • 1867 - 1885

    Ballarat Female Refuge was located in Grant Street, Ballarat, Victoria (Building Unknown)

  • 1885 - 1921

    Ballarat Female Refuge was located at 183 Scott Parade, Ballarat, Victoria (Building Still standing)

Image

Contact Find & Connect

Save page