The Ballarat Benevolent Asylum opened in 1859, in a building in Ascot Street. Until institutions specifically for children were established in Ballarat, many children were housed there. The Ballarat Benevolent Asylum closed its doors to children in 1869.
Surviving records of the Benevolent Asylum include admission registers (1859-1900) and annual general reports (1859-1970). These records are in the custody of Ballarat Health Services.
The Ballarat Benevolent Asylum became the Queen Elizabeth Geriatric Centre sometime before 1960. In 1997 it merged with the Ballarat Base Hospital and the Grampians Psychiatric Service to form the Ballarat Health Services.
1859 - 1869
The Ballarat Benevolent Asylum housed children in its premises in Ascot Street, Ballarat, Victoria (Building Demolished)