• Organisation

Antonian Children's Home

Details

The Antonian Children’s Home as it was known from 1966, formerly the Antonian Institute for Children, was established in Richmond in 1959 to cater for children of Italian origin, including state wards. It closed in 1979.

The Antonian Institute for Children was established at 311 Church Street, Richmond in 1959 by the Daughters of Divine Zeal.

In January 1960, the Antonian Institute for Children was declared an approved children’s home under the Children’s Welfare Act 1958. The Home’s name was changed in 1966, to the Antonian Children’s Home. The Home closed in 1979.

It is now known as the Madre Nazarena Students’ House.

In 2017, the Department of Health and Human Services took custody of records relating to Antonian Children’s Home and the Antonian Institute for Children.

  • Alternative Names

    Antonian Institute for Children

  • From

    1966

  • To

    1979

Locations

  • 1966 - 1979

    Antonian Children's Home was situated on the corner of Brougham and Church Street, Richmond, Victoria (Building Still standing)

Chronology

Image

Contact Find & Connect

Save page